Wednesday, October 9, 2013

Random Picture #183



The truth is that I am suspicious of any fruit that promises to deliver "passion" (those are passionfruit KitKats int he picture). As much as I love fruit of all kinds, I can't say that it's really lit a big fire in my soul. Sometimes, it may light a fire in my gastrointestinal tract... some apples don't sit well with me, but it's not so much with the passion.

Though I haven't written much about KitKats lately, I haven't exactly been hurting for opportunities to procure them. The truth is that they just are not inspiring me much. The above is a bag of passionfruit "adult sweetness" minis that I passed on. Nestle Japan has converted most of its standard KitKat offerings outside of the regional souvenir ones to the less sweet "adult sweetness" line. This is actually a good thing since most of the white chocolate variants were too cloying, but I'm still not convinced that I want to sink $6 into buying a whole bag of minis that I may not enjoy. If any of my readers have sampled these, let me know what you think. If you thought they were great, I may go back and give them a chance.


5 comments:

Hirayuki said...

They definitely have a strong passionfruit flavor, if you like that kind of thing; my Kiwi husband grew up with passionfruit stuff and ate the bulk of our bag. As advertised, they're not overly sweet. Really, if you like passionfruit, you should like these, but if not, you'll probably find them just okay.

Me said...

I love these, one of my favorites. But as Hirayuki said, they are pretty authentically passion fruit flavored, so your enjoyment may be contingent on how you feel about passion fruit in general.

Orchid64 said...

Thanks, Hirayuki!

It sounds like this might not do it for me. If it goes on sale (unlikely), I might try it, but I wish I could just buy one mini bar for about a dollar (overpriced, but still better than wasting a whole bag for a taste). I don't know what passionfruit tastes like, but perhaps I should try and buy one!

Laura Moriarty said...

I actually got one of these free in a goodie bag for attending an event in August. I was unsure whether it was mango or passionfruit flavoured so now I'm sure it was passionfruit. I'm not a big fan of white chocolate as it's far too sickly sweet for me but this was actually really nice as the small size is perfect for the sweet taste. It really does just taste like white chocolate with passionfruit flavour but the wafer provides a bit of relief from the sweetness and a nice texture difference. I don't know many other Japanese Kit Kat flavours but if I had to choose one, this would be in the middle of 'my list' of flavours to choose if I had one.

I also got a 'Sweet Matcha' one too and even though I don't normally like green tea flavoured things as they taste either bitter or planty to me, that one was sweet enough for me to enjoy and I could barely taste any matcha flavour.

Orchid64 said...

Thanks for sharing, Laura!

I liked the green tea KitKats as well. They are easily my favorite green tea sweet from Japan.

I am encouraged by what those who have tried this have said and may be persuaded to give it a try.