Wednesday, March 2, 2011

Random Picture 52

 Click this image to view a much bigger one.

Girl's festival, sometimes called the doll festival (雛祭り or hinamatsuri) is coming up on March 3. Baskin Robbins Japan is offering specially designed ice cream creations for the occasion. For 650-680 yen (~$7), a cup with a few scoops of ice cream, a couple of sugar figures, and whipped cream and some tiny sandwich cookies are on offer as well as a box meant to mimic doll displays with single scoops with whipped cream and sugar heads.

Baskin Robbins prices in Japan are generally pretty expensive and these are even pricier, but they are cute and nicely designed to bring the festival dolls to mind. I wouldn't buy them, but then I'm not a small Japanese girl who spends every "girl's festival" facing a display of gorgeous dolls that I'm not allowed to actually play with. I think a little somewhat expensive ice cream wouldn't be much to ask in compensation for tolerating the big tease of beautiful dolls I can't touch every year until I'm old enough not to care.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

It looks delicious! I would buy it if I could. :)
I was at Japantown today and they were selling hina-arare. I didn't think I'd like it too much, so I didn't get it.

Whitvia said...

cool

BradleyNASH said...

YAY! I Finally had my first dose of Pucca Choco this afternoon. I have to say, they are strangely addictive!