Thursday, January 30, 2014

Karel Capek Sweets Teatime Set (product information)


During the holiday season, I was drawn to the gift baskets and packages that I saw on sale. I don't know how other people regard them, but I am always fascinated by the way in which items are chosen for these package deals. The obvious combinations like cheese, crackers, and shelf-stable cured meat, don't hold a great deal of appeal, but the ones that mix things up a bit pique my curiosity.

This set from designer tea maker, Karel Capek, is less interesting in what it includes than in the little fairy tale that is woven around the choices. They say this is a "once upon a tea time set" and talk about a Nordic King's caramel scones. It includes five kinds of tea, cookies, raspberry muffins, cherry jam, and a special bowl for the jam.

The set will set you back 4,200 yen (about $40). That's a pretty penny for 25 bags of tea, a jar of jam, a little pot for the jam, and a handful of cookies and muffins... and it's not even a particularly interesting assortment. 

2 comments:

Unknown said...

How to pronounce Capek in Karel Capek? is it like in cat or in charity? or just like Cha (tea) in Japanese?

Orchid64 said...

It's like "cha" from tea. Their web site writes it as "Karel Capek", but I think phonetically, we'd write "cha". I hope that helps!