Tuesday, February 15, 2011

Cratz Chicken Arrabiata


I love Cratz, as my past reviews of their products demonstrate. The Chicken Arrabiata variety has been around for ages and I have only neglected to review it because I think that they make for boring review fodder. How much can I milk out of "mmmm, Cratz!" I love these little hard pretzels bits with almonds. To be honest, I didn't even know what chicken arrabiata was when I bought this. I looked it up after the fact and its chicken with various Italian seasonings. The biggest component seems to be tomato, but also garlic, onion, and sometimes mushrooms.



The smell of these is slightly spicy. The flavor is a melange of chicken, tomato, garlic, and black pepper. While these are all good flavors, it's very hard to pin down what is going on with these. They generally taste spicy and savory and minimally salty. These are good enough, but a little too heavy on the chicken and tomato. I think they're a bit short on the salt and heavy on the peppery aspect.

The Cratz line competes against itself rather than other snacks. If I had to choose between this and a bag of nearly any type of potato chip, I'd take these. However, if I had to choose between any other variety of Cratz and this type, I'd take another flavor. A 44-gram bag of these has 228 calories and some of those come from a nice number of almonds. I found these for 100 yen ($1.20) at Lawson 100, but you can get them anywhere. If you can get the cheese variety or bacon pepper Cratz, I'd say get one of those, but that doesn't mean these aren't good as much as the fact that the others are better in my opinion.

5 comments:

Blue Shoe said...

I've never tried Cratz...maybe I'll pick up a bag next time I go to the conbini.

p00lriah. said...

it looks kinda like chex mix. :P

Orchid64 said...

Ah, but it tastes like pretzels and almonds with spicy goodness. :-)

Patzie said...

ANA gave out Cratz when I was boarding from Tokyo back home and I was so addicted esp. to have it with beer!

the piano teacher said...

I want to buy crazts in los angeles..non of the japanese markets have them.
Ziggythehipster@yahoo.com