Wednesday, April 8, 2009

Fujiya Peach Nectar


Something that calls itself a "nectar" has a lot to live up to. Nectar, after all, is the drink of the gods. Hearing the word conjures up thoughts of sublimely wonderful flavors. I'm guessing that Fujiya didn't really have that in mind when they named this drink. In fact, I'm guessing they just looked up some translation of a Japanese word and said, "sounds cool" (only in Japanese), and named it so.


I have seen this canned drink in vending machines for a very, very long time. Since it was released in 1964 (the year I was born), this is not a big shock, but I never felt compelled to try it until now. The can lists that there is 30% fruit in this and that fruit puree is in it. The first ingredient is peaches followed by sugars of various types and vitamin C. The entire can (350 ml./12 oz.) has 159 calories. That's a bit high calorie, but it's to be expected given how much sugar, both from the fruit and added, that there is in this.

The juice is not carbonated and is very cloudy. It smells just like fresh peaches. The taste is just like biting into a fresh, perfectly ripened peach. It's a bit sweeter than the real deal, but it works well in a beverage.

I loved this. It was refreshing, sweet, delicious, and tasted so much like a real peach that if someone served it in a glass and said it was freshly pureed and squeezed peach juice, I'd believe it. If you like peaches, I wholeheartedly recommend this. I think it'd also make an excellent substitute for a dessert if you're in the mood for something sweet.

5 comments:

Carolina deWitte said...

Hi, I just found your site. I love Japanese food, and will enjoy reading about Japanese snack foods. In America they sell many 'nectar' drinks. I'm much older than you, and they have been sold here since before I was born, or so my American grandmother told me. They are exactly as you describe, except for the 'freshness' of the flavours of many of them. My personal favourite is the apricot nectar, and I love mixing it half and half with plain soda water. I also use them as a base for certain recipes, usually desserts, but for some sauces for meats as well. I do wish I could find a peach nectar here that tastes as fresh as the one you had. Peaches are one of my favourite fruits, and it would be wonderful to have the flavour of fresh peaches the entire year.

Kelly said...

Sounds yum! I love peach everything! Do they have any other flavours of nectar?

Orchid64 said...

Hi, Carolina, and thank you for reading and for taking the time to comment. I really appreciate it!

I had read before about pear nectar being sold in the U.S.(though I believe it was imported from another country). I once read a blog post where someone served pear nectar as an exotic "soup" when trying to do a dinner based on dollar shop finds.

Kelly: I haven't seen any other nectars in Japan. There are lots of really nice juices, but none of them are as decadent as this one. If I run across any others, you can bet I'll try them after the very positive experience I had with this one!

Thanks for commenting!

Carolina deWitte said...

I forgot to mention that I now live in AZ, and we get lots of Mexican imports, including lots of different nectars. They are VERY popular in Mexico, and they have some fairly 'exotic' flavours, including melon, guava and papaya. I can often find those at the dollar stores, so stock up on them too. They ALL make a refreshing drink on ice with plain soda water, and I think they are much healthier than sodas as well...I mix plain soda with all sorts of fruit juices. Yum. (And half the calories of the pure juice)

Anassandro said...

i am drinking it now in my kenkyuushitsu now.really refreshing.