Friday, April 22, 2011

Lotte Eve Gum


Due to growing up in the 70's and being exposed to a lot of advertising for feminine hygiene products, I associate any product using the word "Eve" with the sorts of problems only women have. In fact, anything with the word "Eve" in it in the U.S. is going to address problems, as one of my friends so colorfully put it, "down there." Even in Japan, there is/was a type of pain killer that was equivalent to Midol (a pain reliever for "that time of the month") called "Eve", so the U.S. isn't the only country making that connection.


With that in mind, I couldn't resist sampling this ladies gum, though I sincerely hoped it wasn't going to resemble a disposable feminine cleansing solution or pain medication. Lotte's web site says that this gum is supposed to remind you of flowers. I guess that anything with pretty posies attached to it is by default for women. "Flowers" apparently taste a bit like weak juicy fruit mixed with  a hint of perfume if this gum is any indication.

One of the problems with gum is that it is ultimately, just gum. No matter how cool the naming convention, it's not going to send you over the moon on the flavor front. That being said, I'm always looking for good gum. The problem with Lotte's gum (all of it) is that, even when it tastes good, the flavor never lasts for long. This gum was pleasantly sweet and slightly floral, but the taste died in no time at all.

The only gum I've had in Japan which had long-lasting flavor has been Clorets. I've had a lot of Japanese gum which tasted great, but I find myself essentially doing jaw exercises with a soggy wad of nothing in no time at all. This gum was no different than most in that regard, unfortunately.

1 comment:

Sophia Lee said...

They have another type of Lotte Eve gum that is in sticks. I love them! I like that "floral" taste for some reason...though I feel like the taste disappears way too fast. And they need a sugar-free version.