Friday, April 1, 2011

Luna Banana Nata de Coco Yogurt


While the plain yogurt offerings continue to be decimated on store shelves due to supply chain problems and (likely) panic-buying, small cartons of flavored yogurt tend to be left behind, at least in small quantities. In my area, I've noticed that low or no calorie options are less popular than regular versions during the current atmosphere of crisis. I guess if you're going to hoard, it's important to make sure you have stuff that will fatten you up as much as possible.

I found this Luna yogurt at the local Lawson's 100 convenience store (100 yen/$1.21), but I've seen it pretty much everywhere. Since I've had very good experiences with the other offerings in this low-calorie line (a mere 65 calories) that Luna is creating, I thought I'd take the risk on banana yogurt. When I say "risk", I mean that I was risking the heartbreak of fake banana flavor, which is always a possibility.


After sampling this, the phrase, "it's better to quit while you're ahead" came to mind. Sigh. The banana flavor is too intense, and fake. The nata de coco pieces are firmer and tougher than some and the sweet and sour balance is not very pleasant. It's as if intense yogurt sourness is purposefully being off-set by equally intense artificial sweetness.

Though this is only 65 calories and makes for a light snack, I wouldn't buy it again because the flavors just don't work well and the textures are disappointing. I think if the nata de coco had been nicer, I'd be more forgiving even of the fake flavoring and unpleasant sweet and sour. Sorry, Luna, we have just had our first bad date, but I'll give you another chance in the future.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

I tend to agree about the low calorie snacks being left and had a giggle about the "fattening" options being most popular in crisis mode. Great blogs, read them religiously!

Orchid64 said...

Thanks for reading and for your kind words Jdrama!

Blue Shoe said...

I know exactly what you mean about taking a "risk" on it. Banana is one of my favorite flavors, but it's also a flavor that can be pretty bad when not done right. Glad I didn't try that one. I usually go for blueberry or aloe yogurt since those flavors seem kind of hard to screw up.

Ikkin-bot said...

I love banana yogurt is is just one of my favorite things . . . even when it is that super processed banana flavor. However, I simply cannot find it here in Canada. I'm not sure why. I am sure it is linked to the general lack of single serving yogurt in Canadian grocery stores as well.

Food Gal said...

How fun to discover your blog because I am often clueless about all the packages and jars I discover in Asian markets that don't have the most coherent labels on them. Now, I can find out what some of them are -- and if they're worth buying.

Orchid64 said...

Thanks, Food Gal! I hope you enjoy reading!