Friday, November 26, 2010

Dear Girl Thunder


Sometimes I buy a product based only on its name, and this was one of those times. The name isn't quite as funky as it sounds though. This is a candy bar affiliated with the "Black Thunder" line of products made by Yuraku. I believe the "thunder" parts relates to the fact that the bars are full of crunchy cookie bits.

I thought this might be an attempt to market a special line of candy bars toward women, like the ill-advised "Fling" candy bar. Further investigation seems to reveal that it is based on an anime show. Products based on anime are a dime a dozen in Japan, so that was a big disappointment. The bar could have contained some secret estrogen-enhancement ingredient, or been formulated for female tastes (not that I'd know what that is), but, no. It's just a boring name based on a cartoon.


Fortunately, the bar itself is actually pretty good. Like the other bars in this line, it is small, about 3 inches long by 1.5 inches wide (7.6 cm x 3.8 cm) and made with very weak and soft chocolate. The shining star of it is all of the little cookie pieces that pepper the interior. They're not too dense so they're not incredibly hard, but they are pleasantly crunchy. The bar has a nice cookie flavor coupled with coconut and cocoa.

There's no nutrition information on the bar, but considering the original Black Thunder was about 100 calories and this is very similar in size and composition, I think it's safe to conclude this is about the same. I found this in Family mart convenience store for about 25 yen (31 cents) and would definitely buy it again. If you like Twix or chocolate-covered Oreos, there's a chance you'll like this. It's not as sweet as those, but it has the same pleasant cookie qualities.

8 comments:

Ikkin-bot said...

despite being named from Anime that is one of the best names ever.

Orchid64 said...

Instead of a kitty on the label, it would have been nice to have something more in line with the name... but you are right that it's a good name. :-)

Thanks for commenting!

Sophia Lee said...

wow, a friend just referred me to your site, and I love it. I have an obsession for Japanese snacks, I just wish I had more $$...and that Little Tokyo was closer to me.

Orchid64 said...

Thanks for reading Burp and Slurp, and for taking the time to comment!

Patzie said...

I find that Japanse is quite creative (in Japanese' way) with the names/titles of things. I can never think something like this up :P

fanficgirlwithprobs said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Orchid64 said...

Hi, I bought this quite awhile ago and I'm afraid that I've never seen one in the U.S. If I ever see one though, I'll come back and leave word!

fanficgirlwithprobs said...

:( so sad... but just talking to someone who has ate it is enough for me! (for now anyway...)