Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Random Picture 39

Click this picture for a somewhat bigger one with more detail.

Our local Family Mart convenience store has been carrying imported Pop Chips for about a month. My husband brought back a bag of Pop Chips, a healthier type of potato chip which uses pressure to cook and a small amount of oil, and I really liked them, but I was disappointed at the price. For a .8 oz. (single serving) bag, it's 228 yen ($2.82). It wasn't that they were so expensive, though that didn't make me especially happy, but because at that price, they can't possible sell well when positioned next to 100-150 yen ($1.24-$1.86) larger bags of Japanese salted snacks. There's almost zero chance that they'll stay on the market here given the price, and that's a disappointment to me personally.

5 comments:

Jason E. Miller said...

Sadly, that's about what they go for here in the USA as well! They are super expensive here, too.

Dani said...

How odd. I'm in the Los Angeles area and the small snack bags range in price from roughly $1.25-$1.65. The much larger bags range in price from $1.99 to about $3.59. They also come in a host of flavors here as well. I suppose we're just lucky? If you ever find that they've pulled them from Japanese shelves, I'm sure we can find a way to send them to you! ;)

p00lriah. said...

that's some expensive chips. but imports are typically more expensive. the japanese snacks in the US are much more costly than the average cheetos; guess you can't help with the price. i just wait for sales so i can buy a bunch at once. :P

Orchid64 said...

Interesting price differences. I'd think they'd be more expensive in places like L.A., but perhaps it has to do with the distribution network. My sister lives in Western Pennsylvania and they don't have them at all.

Thanks to both of you for commenting!

tfangel said...

Those salt and pepper ones, i love those, even with the price. Not a frequent purchase by any stretch of the imagination, but they really make my mouth happy. :)