Wednesday, March 13, 2013

Random Picture #153


There were many times when I saw some funky English in Japan and had a laugh at the expense of whoever came up with the words. I figured that, in most cases, they didn't know what they were saying. Now that I'm "on the other side", I see things which remind make show me humor on the other side. That is, there are words that, in Japanese, have a meaning which renders seeing them on products in English is funny.

I realize most of my readers are English speakers, so my bemusement will not easily be shared by them. To aid you in understanding why this is a bizarre name for a Japanese company (Lotte) to give a product, I recommend you go to Wikipedia's link that explains what kancho is in Japan. If you don't want to mosey on over there, the short version is it's a "game" (or "prank") in which the goal is to violate someone's rectum to the maximum extent possible with your hands. It is played by immature young people of various ages, but, fortunately, mainly by kids. 

The above pictured biscuit was in the Korean market, Han Kook. Though it's written on in English, I'm guessing the name has rather different connotations in other Asian languages than it does in Japanese. My guess is that it is for Hong Kong, Taiwan, Korea, or China. The only thing I'm sure of is that it isn't for Japan. No one is going to want to buy cookies that remind them of having their private spaces rather greatly uncomfortably invaded. 

4 comments:

thegypsie said...

Ahahahahaahaa I would totally buy that and not eat it just because I know what kancho is. I actually just told someone what kancho is because it happened in a Korean dramedy I am currently watching.

I don't even know how this originated but I have seen it in a few comedies and anime shows.

BradleyNASH said...

That's ridiculous... this is pretty funny! But again, (pun intended) I still wouldn't get it without some cultural explanation. This is pretty funny considering that it's on a shelf with no apparent realization of the 'implied profanity'.

Anyway, funny and good post as usual!

Bamboocopter said...

The picture is funnier because of the winking boy design in the corner. :D

Orchid64 said...

Thanks to all of you for commenting!

Susie: I wonder if Koreans invented it or copied it from Japan?

Bradley: I live to explain, and entertain. ;-)

Bamboocopter: I hadn't even noticed, but you're right!