Thursday, July 28, 2011

Pepsi Caribbean Gold

I'd read that this was going to be released on July 26 and dutifully went out to the local Family Mart to procure one. It is part of the snack reviewer's oath that one must sample high profile novelty releases ASAP. It's the same credo that says weight gain "for the cause" is to be seen as a noble expansion... taking one, two, or even three for the team is just part of the job. Incidentally, that job is currently paying about 35 cents a post and could be offering better compensation for the risks. Those risks can be quite considerable at times, believe me.

Despite my best efforts (which means I went to three different convenience stores) to procure this beverage the day of its release, Pepsi apparently was not in the mood to cooperate. I didn't find it until the 27th and found it while I was working and couldn't review it. But, here it is, Pepsi's latest attempt to capture our hearts and imaginations with a brew containing an obscure fruit that no one has ever heard of so they can't tell if it tastes like what it's supposed to or not.

A sniff of the freshly opened bottle reveals a vague fruity scent which reminds me of gum balls that I used to get from those machines that you put a coin into then crank three times for a disappointingly small number of balls. The taste on the first sip was very weak and it wasn't until a second sip that it revealed some syrupy fruity notes. This does taste like Pepsi mixed with something different, though it is hard to pin down what. The Wikipedia page for white sapote says that it can range in flavor and can taste like banana, peach, pear, vanilla, or just not much at all. I'd say that of those options, the Pepsi has vague peach and vanilla flavors, but it's really not a fair description.

At 47 calories per 100 ml. (that's 235 calories for the entire bottle), this would have to blow me away to be worth drinking it all. It really just struck me as a lighter version of Pepsi without the caramel colors and with lower acidity and with a hint of something fruity of some sort. It's pretty good tasting, but in no way worth pursuing beyond a casual purchase out of curiosity. Pepsi's variations when they are palatable seem pretty weak and when they are weird are pretty nasty. I probably won't even finish the bottle because I'd be just as happy with a Coke Zero and to be spared the sugar load.


6 comments:

Japan-Australia said...

Sounds like a tropical Pepsi. Might be good for a refreshing summer drink but don't know about all the time!!

Japan Australia

Andrea said...

Oooh, sapote, I've had that! I'm in Mexico so it's not weird or exotic. They taste quite sweet, and sort of like... persimmon? Definitely not like peach.

Do they not release special editions in diet versions? I'm with you on the sugar thing...

Somni said...

I'm sipping one right now as well. Just picked it up from 7-11 and went to check your blog to see if you had reviewed it. I agree about the gum taste.. the aftertaste reminds me of chewing gum. It also reminds me of creaming soda. A little too sweet for my tastes. I liked the baobab one from last year.

Orchid64 said...

I liked Baobab better, too, Somni. :-)

Unknown said...

I picked one up tonight too and probably will end up not finishing it either. I'm glad you said that it tasted like gum because that's my reaction when I first drank it. I find it a bit too sweet and syrupy. Then again, at least it's somewhat drinkable compared to the flavors they came out with in the past years.

Ikkin-bot said...

I had this while I was in Japan . . . can't say I really cared for it. Not bad, just not worth drinking more of it.