Thursday, August 15, 2013

Frito-Lay Grano Salted Snacks (product information)

Image courtesy of Frito-Lay.

I'm always on the fence about how to regard junk food. Is it something that we should endeavor to make as healthy as possible so that we can improve the overall nutritional profile? Or is it something which we should simply conclude is meant to taste "good" and health be damned? I think the choice I make depends on how I happen to be feeling at the time. If I were feeling that we should make it as healthy as possible, then I'd go for this "Grano" chips. 

The selling point of these is that they include three types of grains - brown corn, rice, wheat, and oats. The grain aspects don't translate into lower calories, however, as 55 grams (about 2 oz.) is 254 calories. You can compare this to the average calorie load of potato chips which is about 150 calories per ounce, you're not really saving much on that front. I guess you'll just have to be happy with the whole grain goodness and the fine work it will do on your digestive tract. 

No comments: