Saturday, August 13, 2011

Finding a new footing

When I started this blog, I was working about 10 hours a week in my home and there were days when I had many hours of free time. That situation has since changed. As some of my readers may recall, I mentioned that I had to take on more work as a result of earthquake-related earnings changes. Two days a week, I now work full-time outside of my apartment and three days a week I have a consolidated home working schedule. That means that I'm now working closer to 25 hours and have commute time on two days of the week which I did not have when I started blogging.

I've been doing 10 posts a week between my two blogs for quite awhile and it has become clear to me as of late that this is a pace I cannot keep up with my increased workload. I don't have time to properly research some posts and I certainly don't have the time for creative composition, editing, or proof-reading. I've felt recently that my work is getting sloppier and I feel rushed.

Because of this, I've decided that I need to change my posting schedule. I'm very reluctant to scale back, but it's clear that I can't keep up this pace. I'm going to try and continue to do 5 posts a week at 1000 Things About Japan because those posts are shorter, but I need to reduce posts here down to 3 days. I'll be posting reviews on Monday and Friday and random pictures on Wednesday. This situation may or may not be permanent. My hope is that I'll find a new footing once I get a breather from the current hectic pace. I may find that I can do more than 3 posts a week or that I may find some other type of content that is appropriate on other days but less time-consuming.

I'm very sorry to reduce the posting frequency because I really do enjoy writing this blog and reviewing various foods. I also very, very much appreciate all of my readers and want to keep doing what I can to entertain them. I'm sure some folks will be disappointed, and I regret that.

Because I won't be posting as often, I'm going to throw the option open for guest posting. If you've got a Japanese snack you've sampled and would like to write about, I invite you to make your voice heard here. I can't offer you cash, because frankly you'd laugh at the 35 cents per post that I could pay (that's what ads pays me for my work). I can say that you can link to your own blog and possibly improve your readership by showing your stuff on this blog. Anyone who is interested can e-mail me at orchidsixtyfour@gmail.com. I'll e-mail guidelines if you contact me.

Thanks for reading!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

10 Post a week, holly molly! That is a lot, I just don't know how you did it, my schedule is relaxed this summer and I have to force myself sometimes to do just two or three a week.. blogging is such a creative release for me.

I'm sure some of your readers will be disappointed but March 11th affected many in different ways, the economy is just one of those, let's hope the new Japan emerges soon. I hope you are enjoying your summer so far aside from the heat, my friends have never experienced heat like this before, freezer is full of ice pops! lol

BradleyNASH said...

I took a similar approach, with my getting married and buying a new house... my time has been cut drastically short. I work anywhere from 40-60 hours a week... so yeah time is at a premium here.