Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Random Picture #76

Click this smaller version to load a larger one with better detail.

Mister Donut is catering to traditional Japanese tastes in what they're calling a "flavor tour". Since the "tour" is made up of only three new products, it's not exactly a long one. The poster shows a donut version of takoyaki at the top. I haven't tried it, because octopus-flavored donuts aren't my idea of a good time, but the information on "Misdo's" web site seems to indicate this is not faux takoyaki with chocolate sauce and coconut imitating the look of the takoyaki sauce and bonito (fish flakes). It's supposed to be rice dough balls with fishy flavorings on them. I could be misunderstanding the Japanese (it wouldn't be the first time, and definitely won't be the last), but the only thing is says for sure is "octopus not included". The two donuts beneath the faux octopus balls are an old-fashioned covered with sweet potato paste and another filled with a red bean paste and coated with dried camphor bark (aka cinnamon) and sugar. I'm hoping to try the latter, but I'm saving my experience with octopus balls for sampling the real deal one of these days.

5 comments:

Japan-Australia said...

I love Japanese Takoyaki but I don't know about a Takoyaki donut. I would be put off by the appearance as I like my donuts sweet and sugary.

Japan Australia

Anonymous said...

I love MisDo and their constant innovations in the field of donut research.

let us know if you get to the bottom of the misdo takoyaki donuts!

Anonymous said...

I'm a fish person, and I embrace anything that resembles fusion, especially desserts but I don't know if I'm feeling this one, it's like I do like the consistency of mochi, but I despise it in donut form.

anchan said...

The sweet potato version is specifically purple sweet potato, a speciality of Okinawa. I've been tempted, but I'm a sucker for kinako dusted donuts and until they pull that line...

Nat said...

I've been doing バイト at Mister Donuts in Beppu, Oita.. Yes, all the toppings are real stuff for the Takoyaki.. However, the donuts are small version of Pon De Ring... I didn't dear to taste it myself. I hope you'll taste it one day Orhid64, and tell me how it went. :)

I hate the smell of the いも as you've said, it's sweet potato paste... The donut part is a baked Old Fashion (オールドファッション) Japanese people seemed to really like this, as nearly everyday, it is one of the fastest donut to be sold out first, as well as the Nikki (ニッキ)

@anchan: Even though Mister Donuts pulled the kinako line, they still have Pon De Kuromitsu, which has kinako sprinkled on the top of the green pon de ring :)