Wednesday, August 3, 2011

Random Picture #73

Click to see a larger picture with more detail.

There's a game center near one of our local stations which seems to be stocking increasingly  high numbers of food prizes. Instead of cuddly little furry numbers, it seems that their gamers would prefer salty or sweet treats and figures of girls with their panties exposed or famous anime character-related items. We ran across one prize that was doing its best to cater to all sorts. These are cans of "miracle fruit" with a "One Piece" theme. If you've never heard of it, this "miracle fruit" is a little dried thing which changes the way your taste buds perceive sour food. A lemon becomes sweet (as the can tells us). In fact, I think the deal is everything becomes sweeter.

One Piece has been wildly popular for quite some time, but the commercialization of it seems to continuously rev up. I see more and more crap with its characters and logo everyday. I once attempted to watch an episode and found it unbearable (the first episode of the animated series). I think there's a good chance the manga may be less maddening, or it could just be my upper middle-aged brain's incapacity to grasp what the kids are into these days.

2 comments:

Somni said...

I've definitely noticed more One Piece stuff around lately. We have a friend back in the US that is into it and so we picked him up some t-shirts from UniQlo and a figurine from 7-11. I'm sure we can find lots more crap before we decide to mail off the package!

Anonymous said...

I've never seen this before, never even heard about it, I have to tell Sebastian about this, I have no idea where to find it.