Wednesday, October 16, 2013

Random Picture #184


In Monday's post, I mentioned all things mango in Japan. I felt that it would be appropriate to follow that up with the sembei that I didn't review (or purchase) during my shopping expedition. Though this wasn't incredibly expensive, I felt that the lemon flavor would suit me better since most mango-flavored things tend to taste a bit too much like mango puree that was formed on the far side of the fruit's viability. Still, if this is still around in a month, I may persuade myself to give it a try. I'm a sucker for unique sembei flavors.

I wonder if many of my readers are regular consumers of sembei and if they'd be "adventurous" enough to give this a try. What do you think?

5 comments:

Figurkowo.com said...

I would love to try them - I love taste of mango, and I love sembei. It has to have unique flavor!

Pratyeka said...

I would absolutely try these if I saw them around. I honestly don't know where you found half the interesting sembei you've tried. I'm trying to pay more attention to new/special flavors when I go to the supermarket, but I haven't come across anything like this yet.

Orchid64 said...

I'm glad they sound interesting to both of you!

My main impediment to trying more varieties of snacks than I do is the time it takes to eat them up. If I buy two bags of sembei, it'll take me up to two months to eat them both and they'll certainly go stale in the meantime. Since I'm the only one who eats the snacks I review, it's difficult to handle too much at once.

As for how I find them, I am fortunate to have access to a large number of Asian markets including several that specializes in Japanese food. Recently, I found one of my favorite sweet sembei varieties, the "double cream brown sugar" variety at one of these markets and I was pretty happy to see that they carried something I enjoyed many times in Japan.

I think that you have to go early and often to get the odd varieties, Pratyeka. Are you in Japan or another country? In Tokyo, it was easy because Okashi no Machioka carried tons of these types of things. Here, it's really about searching often and being lucky.

Thanks to both of you for your comments!

Pratyeka said...

I know what you mean about eating the snacks. I'm still working on a small package of chocolate sunflower seeds I picked up two weeks ago...
I'm currently living in Tokyo, but before this I lived in a small town in Kyushu, so I haven't figured out where to shop/adjusted to the variety yet. I'll look out for Okashi no Machioka, thanks!

Unknown said...

Oh I would love to try these, if only for the experience. I'm not much of a mango or mango flavor loving person myself. I wonder how it translates to sembei...